Assistant Athletics Director of Development
Assistant Athletics Director of Development
Assistant Athletics Director of Development reports to the Deputy Athletic Director for External Affairs while also working directly with the Athletic Director to develop, direct and manage the annual athletic fundraising associated with the Jacksonville University Athletics Department. This includes, but is not limited to, creating and coordinating a comprehensive, strategic and integrated effort to build Jacksonville University’s base of annual donors, generate unrestricted giving to the department and increase sport specific giving to our individual programs. This position will execute a year-round acquisition and cultivation program that will involve direct mail and all forms of donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
Essential Job Duties
- Serves as integral member of the External Relations unit.
- Works in coordinated and collaborative effort with the Deputy Athletic Director for External Relations.
- Reviews and updates reports that assist in the identification of prospects and cultivation and stewardship of current donors.
- Develop new ideas and sources to increase annual giving.
- Follows best practices of development professional, including confidentiality and discretion.
- Works closely with coaching staffs to develop and coordinate specific team/sport fundraising calendars and initiatives.
- Maintain an on-going pool of introductory or discovery prospects and ensure 25 percent of annual calls are with new donors.
- Responsible for formulating, activating and overseeing fund-raising activities/events for Athletics.
- Create open communication with coaches to identify needs within the Athletics Department.
- Coordinate arrangements for visits of prospects and donors to the campus.
- Prepare and present materials orally and in writing to prospects at home and away games and University functions.
- Provide for the continuing stewardship of prospective and existing donors in coordination with the Advancement Office.
- Ensure the input of accurate information into the Raiser’s Edge database for tracking.
- Have passion for student-athletes and fans of Jacksonville University.
- Lead the revitalization of the Jacksonville University Athletic Association (JUAA).
- Work towards rebuilding an advisory board for athletics in connection with the JUAA.
- Liaise with both the Trustee Athletics Committee and the ASPIRE Campaign Committee, as directed by the Athletic Director, Deputy Athletic Director and Chief Advancement Officer.
- Collaborate with University Advancement Office on major gift fundraising objectives.
- Assist in securing major and gifts for the Athletics Department.
- Manage a portfolio of 30-50 major gift prospects in active cultivation/solicitation.
- Help the Jacksonville Student Government Association (SGA) and the Athletics Department enhance and improve “Phinatics,” the student fan club.
- Help further efforts of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) as directed by the Associate Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Services.
- Serve as an Ambassador for JU Athletics at community events including potential speaking engagements.
- Work to help grow corporate sponsorships for the Athletics Department.
- Potential sport supervision duties.
- Serves as primary budget manager for external relations unit.
- Must understand and be conversant in the business and vernacular of intercollegiate athletics
- Excellent critical thinking skills;
- Excellent oral communications skills;
- Persuasive presentation and public speaking skills;
- Ability to use discretionary judgment; and excellent computer skills;
- Must have the unique ability to interact with a host of different prospects, colleagues, and staff officers from a wide range of backgrounds including athletics, development and geographically dispersed philanthropists.
- Work is primarily indoors, but requires the incumbent to be in an outdoor environment when traveling between campus buildings, visiting outdoor sports practices or traveling off-campus.
- Standard office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Attendance at evening and weekend events is required.
- Off-campus, travel is required; position will require travel beyond the Jacksonville metropolitan area.
- Incumbent will be exposed to frequent noise cause by telephones and office machines.
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and reach
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Bachelor’s Degree
Minimum Work Experience
- Two years of external experience in either a University or sophisticated nonprofit setting;
- Ability to successfully balance and manage multiple tasks in an active, fast-paced environment;
- Excellent oral, written, computer, and fiscal management skills.
- Professional experience in higher education advancement and/or NCAA Athletics strongly preferred.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.