Honors Administrative Assistant
Honors Administrative Assistant
This Position Reports to:
Director of the Honors Program
Provides administrative support for Honors program, including responding to phones, e-mail, and in-person inquiries from parents, students and other faculty and staff members.
Essential Job Duties
- Performs varied administrative work requiring initiative and independent judgment.
- Works independently and under general direction.
- Monitors budget and account expenditures for Honors and Undergraduate Research.
- Helps administer 4 budget accounts:
- Honors Budget
- Honors Gift Account
- Undergraduate Research Budget
- Undergraduate Research Gift Account for Honors.
- Maintains extensive official records on all Honors students.
- Implements Honors administrative policies.
- Handles problems and non-routine situations by determining the approach or action to take and interprets guidelines, procedures, policies and practices.
- Works with senior administrative offices requiring use of business vocabulary, tact, discretion and judgment.
- Provides administrative support to Honors Director in areas such as maintaining Honors calendars and maintaining recordkeeping systems.
- Develops and maintains databases and spreadsheets.
- Prepares special and recurring reports containing specialized or sensitive information.
- Interviews and advises students regarding information, procedures and academic requirements of specific programs or majors.
- Prepares student advising materials; assists students in establishing realistic and attainable academic and career goals.
- Advises incoming Honors students and helps register them for courses.
- Corresponds with new incoming Honors students.
- Helps identify options for students to satisfy degree requirements; evaluates and makes recommendations.
- Monitors academic progress of each student; determines student eligibility to stay in the Honors program.
- Maintains student files and records; documents all pertinent student information; updates computerized information system regarding changes in student status.
- Helps interpret university policies and procedures.
- Plans logistics for Honors conferences (i.e., registrations, accommodations, travel, etc.) and arranges for the funds from various accounts to pay for the conferences.
- Helps coordinate NCUR conference (i.e., registrations, accommodations, travel, etc.) and arranges for the funds from various accounts to pay for the conference.
- Helps plan and coordinate Honors Orientation.
- Other duties as needed.
- Work is primarily indoors, but requires the incumbent to be in an outdoor environment when traveling between campus buildings.
- Standard work hours 8:30 AM to 5pm, Monday – Friday.
- Some nights and weekends may be required.
- Incumbent will be exposed to frequent noise caused by telephones and office machines.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines.
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
- Able to lift and turn objects up to 90 lbs. without physical restrictions.
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- High School Diploma
Minimum Work Experience
- 3-5 years experience as an administrative assistant preferred
- Experience in an academic environment
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
I acknowledge receipt and understanding of this job description. I verify that I am capable of and willing to fulfill all essential functions of this position. I am willing to be flexible and willing to do various jobs that are not listed, as the need arises.
To apply for this position, send resume and application to:
Dr. Janet Haavisto
Director, Honors Program