Emerging Technologies and Health Sciences Librarian
Resource Faculty: Emerging Technologies and Health Sciences Librarian
Position Reports To:
Director of the Library
Assigned staff and/or student assistants
The Emerging Technologies and Health Sciences Librarian works in a team-based environment with the other Librarians, providing leadership for system-wide, technology-based services, initiatives and projects. The Emerging Technologies Librarian will monitor trends and identify possible uses in library instruction and services. This Librarian position also serves as a liaison for the School of Health Sciences.
Essential Job Duties
- Administrates OCLC WorldShare Management Services (WMS) and all related services, knowledge base, discovery configurations, and hosted EZProxy. Troubleshoots for system problems. Trains librarians, library support staff, and others.
- Designs, deploys, and maintains library website, libguides, and links to online subscription and Internet resources. Development an intuitive, user-friendly library web page.
- Plans, implements, and manages digital imaging projects in coordination with other librarians; manages digital imaging equipment in cooperation with Information Technology.
- Develops online orientation sessions, course-integrated instruction, and workshops on information resources, mobile technologies, social media, and collaboration tools.
- Works with other librarians to promote end-user self-sufficiency. Participates with other librarians in an active library instruction program; helps develop appropriate teaching materials to meet faculty teaching objectives.
- Responsible for outreach and marketing activities to promote awareness of the Library’s technology tools, social media, and emerging technologies.
- Actively participates as library liaison to the School of Health Sciences for acquisition of materials and provides specialized information services. Attends campus committee meetings, submit reports, and special projects. Communicates and solicits input from faculty.
- Provides traditional and online reference services to students, faculty, and staff to help meet information and research needs in all available formats. Shares in providing reference services on scheduled nights and weekends with other librarians.
- Notifies Information Technology Help Desk of equipment and network problems; performs repairs and maintenance within scope of personal knowledge, training, and experience.
- Participate in the development of library-wide policies, collection development, special projects, procedures, and goals.
- Maintains appropriate statistics; prepares regular and ad hoc reports as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of the Library
- Experience using web-based tools, imaging and/or video software, presentation software and relevant emerging technologies.
- Ability to use a computer and Microsoft applications; customer service oriented; teaching skills; thoroughness and skilled with the attention to details; good writing skills; demonstrable ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical users. Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude towards co-workers, JU community and job duties.
- Primarily indoor office environment.
- Standard Library coverage hours.
- Some night or weekend hours.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment and materials weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and reach.
- Must be able to use a computer keyboard and other office machines.
- Must have vision to read in print and on screen.
- Must have hearing to communicate in person and on the phone.
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Master’s degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association; advanced knowledge of computers and software.
Minimum Work Experience
- This is an entry-level academic library position. Applicants must have experience working with computer applications and operating systems, including installation and troubleshooting in a networked environment.
Two years’ professional experience preferably in a college or university setting. Health Science reference and instruction experience.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
I acknowledge receipt and understanding of this job description. I verify that I am capable of and willing to fulfill all essential functions of this position. I am willing to be flexible and willing to do various jobs that are not listed, as the need arises.
Please send all application materials to Casanna Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org