Chairside Orthodontic Assistant
School of Orthodontics, Brooks Rehabilitation College of Healthcare Sciences
The position is responsible for preparing exam rooms, performing chair-side assistance to orthodontic service providers, and sterilizing and maintaining instruments, on a rotating basis.
Essential Job Duties
- Prepares patient for treatment, sets up instrument trays, prepares materials and assists service provider in performing orthodontic procedures.
- Takes diagnostic x-rays.
- Makes preliminary impressions for study casts and occlusal registrations for mounting study casts; pours, pulls casts, and returns to resident.
- Sterilizes and disinfects instruments.
- Maintains supply and material inventories; reporting the need to order replacements to the appropriate personnel as needed.
- Maintains OSHA requirements and standards.
- Maintains confidentiality; protects the security of dental records and adheres to all HIPAA guidelines/regulations.
- Operates standard office equipment and uses required software applications following applicable state laws.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Dental terminology.
- Orthodontic dentistry chair-side assistance processes and procedures.
- Sterilization and disinfecting techniques and procedures.
- OSHA standards and requirements.
- Operating and maintaining a wide variety of dental equipment.
- Operating standard office equipment and using required software applications.
- Read, understand, and follow oral and written instructions.
- Organize and prioritize multiple detailed tasks within tight timeframes.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Work collaboratively within a team environment.
- Handle stressful situations and provide a high level of customer service in a calm and professional manner, including calming fearful patients.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, service providers, faculty, and other staff.
- Normal business hours. Some additional hours may be required.
- Climate controlled office environment during normal business hours.
- Sitting—up to 8 hours per day
- Walking—up to 2 hours per day
- Standing—up to 6 hours per day
- Computer keyboard—up to 6 hours per day
- Lifting—up to a maximum of 30 pounds, but will generally not apply
- Pushing—up to a maximum of 30 pounds, but will generally not apply
- Pulling—up to a maximum of 30 pounds, but will generally not apply
- The following requirements will generally not apply:
- Climbing stairs or a ladder
Employees should not attempt to lift, pull, or push a load in excess of 30 pounds without assistance. Care should always be taken when lifting, pushing, or pulling in an awkward position.
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- High school diploma and some college or technical training in a related discipline and two (2) years’ experience in sterilization and/or chair-side dental assistance or an equivalent combination of education, training, or experience.
- Certified Orthodontic Dental Assistant and/or Certified X-Ray Technician designation is preferred.
- A valid driver’s license is required prior to employment and must be maintained during employment.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Send completed Jacksonville University Application for employment and resume to email@example.com.